Domain Registration in Uganda: A Comprehensive Guide.
In this blog post, we will provide a comprehensive guide to domain registration in Uganda.
Whether you are an individual or a business, registering a domain name is an essential step in creating an online presence. Lets dive right in.
Table of contents
1. What is a domain name?
A domain name is a unique and human-readable web address that identifies a website or any other online resource on the internet. A domain contains a string of characters.
For example, in the domain name “facebook.com”, “facebook” is the SLD and “.com” is the TLD. Domain names are used to identify websites and can be registered through a domain registrar.
Examples of domain names include. google.com, facebook.com, unhcr.org among others.
2. Domain Name registration process
How are domains registered?
Domain names are registered with the help of domain registrars. The registration process can vary slightly depending on the domain registrar you choose, but in general, it involves the following steps:
- Choosing a domain registrar: The first step is to identify a registrar of your domain. Its is important to choose a reliable company to register your domain.
- Its time to search your proposed name, use the registrar’s search function to check if your desired domain name is available. Most registrars have this feature on their websites
- Once you’ve found the domain you want, you will go through the normal buying process like adding the domain to the cart, providing some basic information, such as your name, address, and contact information.
- You’ll need to provide payment information to complete the registration process. Upon payment the domain get activated . In most cases this is an automated process and no further action is required other than log in to the domain management dashboard.
How long does it take to register a domain?
Domain Registration process takes about 10 to 20 minutes to complete, However , the DNS may take 24 to 48 hours to replicate world wide and be visible on the public WHOIS database.
If the domain you want is already registered or if there are issues with your registration information, the process may take longer.
In such cases you need to contact your registar to have the issue sorted .
3. Domain name cost
How much is a domain name in Uganda?
Domain name prices in Uganda range from one registrar to the other but the difference is always small. Popular top level domains like .com, .org domain extensions cost between 40,000 and 60,000 ugandan shillings.
The Cheapest domain price is .website at 15000 ugx, .club at 20,000 ugx and so on. Below are the prices here at webhosting256.
For more information about domain prices follow the link below
4. Domain registration requirements
What is required to register a domain name ?
There are no strict requirements for registering a domain name. However, its important to provide accurate contact information including name, mailing address, email address, and phone number.
This information will be publicly available in the WHOIS database, so it’s important to ensure that it is accurate and up-to-date. Other than that, we are good.
And ooh yes you will need to pay domain fees !